Grimm Forum
S4E14 - Bad Luck - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 4 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4)
+---- Thread: S4E14 - Bad Luck (/Thread-S4E14-Bad-Luck)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 03:37 PM)syscrash Wrote: With Juliette a hexenbiest for them to work. Nick will have to abandon his male attitude of "i'm not a man unless I protect my girlfriend". He has to adjust to having a girlfriend that not only can protect herself but can protect him. Nick strikes me as someone who would be offended if Juliette offered to pay for dinner.
Take for instance Juliette just finished mopping up the floor with Adalind. If that was Hank they would have been high fiving each other. But with Juliette he doesn't even acknowledge her abilities. if it had of been me coming in the house and seeing all the knives in the wall. I would have been concerned but after finding out my girlfriend had that kind of power. There would have been high fives all the way around. If it was me we would be an unstoppable duo. The Next case we would be side by side going after whoever. I guess that is why I like Kelly so much. When she dominated Meisner taking control, then demanding from the pilots that she was in charge. What did she say I don't trust anyone I can't kill. With a mom like that what happened to Nick. But then Kelly's sister raised Nick.

You have expressed the opinion that Nick is somewhat old-fashioned in his attitude toward protecting Juliette more than once - and that although he may not intend it to be so, it comes off as a little condescending. You may be correct in this assessment, but in order for it to work, Juliette would have to go along with it. I get your point, but from what I have seen of their relationship when they are alone, it's been more of an equal partnership, that's just how I experience it.

Certainly he tries to protect her from physical danger, though. Makes sense because he has been the stronger of the team up to now. I don't worry about him making the transition to a more equal physical balance between the two of them, as much as will she see things in the same way he does, can those two opposites find a way to meld their natures together. He will be against much of what hexenbiests regard as a way of getting things done, she may become impatient with his ethical concerns, but time will tell. That's why I don't see them together, but good writing can make things right, and we may see a super-charged Nick and Juliette couple after all. I love Kelly's toughness, too.

(03-23-2015, 03:37 PM)syscrash Wrote: Before Juliette became a hexenbiest she showed she has no problem exacting extreme violence. I mean clock a guy in the head with an iron skillet then kick him in the nuts. That is not someone I would want to pissof. In Tribunal she shot the first guy without blinking or hesitation.

As a hexenbiest she is losing all fear to the point where she is getting a snarky attitude. What did she tell the manticore "maybe he should come home and find you dead". But the best was "Bring it on bitch". juliette is becoming like Trubel. What did the detective say about Trubel cutting Weston head off. "My daughter would have been freaking out". The same with Juliette we have never seen her freak out about anything. Seeing Rosale woge freaked her but she came right back.

I just hope they don't make Juliette go n offense like Adalind. Keep her as a defensive character like Nick. But then I am one of the people who would love to see Adalind pull in her claws. Mainly because she is so lousy at being a villain. Also don't start dressing her in black or leather. She is not a super hero.

Couldn't agree more. Always thought Juliette had courage. You and I are thinking alike when you say you don't want to see her get aggressive, that's not Juliette. Hope she holds on to enough of her old self to be recognizable in her new persona.

(03-23-2015, 04:27 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: [quote='speakeasy' pid='11296' dateline='1427148885']

Quote:Then there's the Captain, my all-around favorite character on Grimm. He seems dangerous, but has a conscience, I think. I feel there's hope for him. So perhaps Juliette can infuse enough of her innate fine character into this new form and emerge a hybrid Hexenbiest who can be a force to be reckoned with, but also has the ability to empathize.

That's the best possible route they can take with her character, IMO. Enough aspects of Juliette's original mindset could remain, albeit filtered through a Hexenbiest's darker nature and only visible in pivotal dramatic moments, and/or private scenes between herself and Nick.

Your observation about her inborn mindset determining how her Hexenbiest self is assimilated is the best hope for the new Juliette to succeed in a relationship.

I left off one important Hexenbiest from my list and that was Diana. I place my trust in Kelly's belief that the child will a source of great good or great evil depending on who raises her, and that she must not be raised in the castle. So, my logic collapses if I accept that premise and I now have to admit there's no possibility that all Hexenbiests are inherently kind of selfish and bad. Big Grin.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Hexenadler - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 05:05 PM)speakeasy Wrote: So, my logic collapses if I accept that premise and I now have to admit there's no possibility that all Hexenbiests are inherently kind of selfish and bad. Big Grin.

I think all Hexienbiests are only "evil" in the same way all Eisbibers are "cowards." There can be varying degrees to a Wesen's basic temperament depending on their character. As you pointed out, Captain Renard can be ruthless, even savage, but no one can deny he has a conscience of sorts.

The worst thing I personally feel they could do is backpedal and revert Juliette back into a human. As Henrietta said, Nick has to either kill Juliette, or learn to embrace her new existence, which connects to the show's overarching theme of acceptance. If he chooses the latter, we could be in for a wild ride.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Samsarilian - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 05:05 PM)speakeasy Wrote: I left off one important Hexenbiest from my list and that was Diana. I place my trust in Kelly's belief that the child will a source of great good or great evil depending on who raises her, and that she must not be raised in the castle. So, my logic collapses if I accept that premise and I now have to admit there's no possibility that all Hexenbiests are inherently kind of selfish and bad. Big Grin.

Now we are into the nature vs. nurture debate. Is it possible that the Hexanbiests we have seen are evil only because of a cultural bias they are raised by. If so why would Juliette have a 'dark nature' just because she becomes a Hexan? I think this is something the writers may have over looked.

I would not expect her to be a little miss goody two shoes, the old saying is "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." but there is no reason to make her go totally evil either. Or to make her run to Sean as the writers are.

Also though they have not shown a lot of Elizabeth I am not sure she is evil either. Evil is rarely self sacrificing and she saved Sean in a way that risked herself. She may merely be someone that has learned to be weary of others. She must feel betrayed by Sean's father who did not ACT to help his own son when his wife sent assassins.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-24-2015

(03-23-2015, 09:11 PM)Samsarilian Wrote: Now we are into the nature vs. nurture debate. Is it possible that the Hexanbiests we have seen are evil only because of a cultural bias they are raised by. If so why would Juliette have a 'dark nature' just because she becomes a Hexan? I think this is something the writers may have over looked.

Also though they have not shown a lot of Elizabeth I am not sure she is evil either. Evil is rarely self sacrificing and she saved Sean in a way that risked herself.

I'll play the contrarian for now and submit that the traits of the Hexenbiest wesen are such that they often use manipulation, bullying, and revenge as ways of getting along in the world. They are feared by most other wesen (even Monroe it seems). Rosalee has stated that humans don't normally form romantic attachments to Hexenbiests, presumably because of their cold and often treacherous natures. They seem to have a reputation for untruthfulness. Imo, this translates into a being who is driven by self-interest, a way of operating that generally precludes the consideration of others in its effects.

So, how does an individual whose interior makeup contains these qualities participate in a relationship that demands the consideration of both to work? By drawing on one's human side, not allowing the wesen self to dominate, I guess. Sure, it's possible. But it would be enormously difficult for the Hexenbiest to go against its true essence on a routine basis. That was my original objection to Juliette's conversion. I now accept the change and rely on her better angels to direct her actions.

I'm completely puzzled by Diana as Hexenbiest and the chosen one, but that's a subject for another thread.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - busyizzy - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 06:38 AM)speakeasy Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 09:11 PM)Samsarilian Wrote: Now we are into the nature vs. nurture debate. Is it possible that the Hexanbiests we have seen are evil only because of a cultural bias they are raised by. If so why would Juliette have a 'dark nature' just because she becomes a Hexan? I think this is something the writers may have over looked.......Also though they have not shown a lot of Elizabeth I am not sure she is evil either. Evil is rarely self sacrificing and she saved Sean in a way that risked herself.

I'll play the contrarian for now and submit that the traits of the Hexenbiest wesen are such that they often use manipulation, bullying, and revenge as ways of getting along in the world. They are feared by most other wesen (even Monroe it seems). Rosalee has stated that humans don't normally form romantic attachments to Hexenbiests, presumably because of their cold and often treacherous natures. They seem to have a reputation for untruthfulness. Imo, this translates into a being who is driven by self-interest, a way of operating that generally precludes the consideration of others in its effects.

So, how does an individual whose interior makeup contains these qualities participate in a relationship that demands the consideration of both to work? By drawing on one's human side, not allowing the wesen self to dominate, I guess. Sure, it's possible. But it would be enormously difficult for the Hexenbiest to go against its true essence on a routine basis. That was my original objection to Juliette's conversion. I now accept the change and rely on her better angels to direct her actions.

I'm completely puzzled by Diana as Hexenbiest and the chosen one.

I do think there is a natural vs nuture (@Samsarilian) thing going on here, but I don't think what @speakeasy said is completely at odds to that:
1. It is natural for any living organism who may be more powerful than those around it to want to try to dominate or manipulate. Adalind and her mother are prime examples of that. Adalind learned many behaviors from her mother, including intimidation of other Wesen and that she was on her own when she lost her powers. I figured if Kelly hadn't killed Catherine, eventually Adalind would have for her complete rejection;
2. A well-nurtured environment could ensure number 1 is put into context and the uses for this power be focused for the good; human nature--more than another other being--will ensure it won't always be for good and Wesen are still human beings but with a beast spirit; and
3. A being can have a good nature and be made darker or more self-absorbed due to heartbreak, illness, fear, anger, other personal experiences, etc. Many of the old grudges (Blutbad/Bauerschwein, Hatfields/McCoys, et al) were created because someone did something to another and the negative feelings and cycle were perpetuated.

In conclusion, Juliette may be someone with a naturally good nature, who was originally nurtured in a good environment. However, her authentic power has shifted and she's now being nurtured (sort of a new birth) by another Hexenbiest, about whose background we know nothing other than she's manipulative and not loyal. Further, Juliette has opened herself to depending on Sean Renard who is still an unknown and, if everyone would just remember, tried to kill Nick and Aunt Marie until he figured he could "use" Nick. Juliette's character is a total unknown at this point. I wouldn't feel this way if she had turned to Rosalee for help at the beginning and not Sean/Henrietta, but they are "in the door" now, and Juliette is already showing a manipulative side as she did when putting Nick on the spot with her "kiss me" routine. I mean, I wouldn't kiss my bf if he had a mouth full of crushed oreo cookies...why would I kiss a Hexenbiest in full woge? That was a no-win for Nick, and Juliette had to know this.

As to Diana, she's not just a Hexenbiest/Zauberbiest/Royal combo...she is a Hexenbiest/Zauberbiest/Royal/Grimm Blood/Pure of Heart spell combo who will hopefully be raised in an environment where her character and powers are given focus for the good. I think this is what the dual heart beats were all about--the potential for good vs evil. I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't look at her as any sort of savior. Catherine and Kelly described her as potentially special and that she needed a focused upbringing. It could be as simple as their not wanting a VERY powerful being to have those negative experiences, and they are just doing damage control.

I'm not sure there will be any interaction with this child on this show other than as a "pawn," and I would be surprised to even see her as a recurring character unless Grimm lives on for many more seasons. While the overall timeline is a bit fluid, the basic timeline IS moving at approximately one season per one year sort of movement if one looks at the Grimm writers' clues with Christmas episodes and general references to weddings, and length of time in relationships, etc.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Hexenadler - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 07:16 AM)busyizzy Wrote: I wouldn't feel this way if she had turned to Rosalee for help at the beginning and not Sean/Henrietta, but they are "in the door" now, and Juliette is already showing a manipulative side as she did when putting Nick on the spot with her "kiss me" routine. I mean, I wouldn't kiss my bf if he had a mouth full of crushed oreo cookies...why would I kiss a Hexenbiest in full woge? That was a no-win for Nick, and Juliette had to know this.

All the more reason why I'm hoping for a scene in a future episode where Nick throws a fully woged Juliette completely off-guard by giving her the kind of kiss that would make her hair explode into flames. Just try to imagine a later conversation between Nick and Wu about the incident:

WU: Wait a minute...you kissed her?

NICK: Yeah.

WU: While she was...?

NICK: Yeah.

WU: Wow. That's...(tries to find a non-offensive word and fails)...kinky.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 07:16 AM)busyizzy Wrote: I do think there is a natural vs nuture (@Samsarilian) thing going on here, but I don't think what @speakeasy said is completely at odds to that:
1. It is natural for any living organism who may be more powerful than those around it to want to try to dominate or manipulate. Adalind and her mother are prime examples of that. Adalind learned many behaviors from her mother, including intimidation of other Wesen and that she was on her own when she lost her powers. I figured if Kelly hadn't killed Catherine, eventually Adalind would have for her complete rejection;
2. A well-nurtured environment could ensure number 1 is put into context and the uses for this power be focused for the good; human nature--more than another other being--will ensure it won't always be for good and Wesen are still human beings but with a beast spirit; and
3. A being can have a good nature and be made darker or more self-absorbed due to heartbreak, illness, fear, anger, other personal experiences, etc. Many of the old grudges (Blutbad/Bauerschwein, Hatfields/McCoys, et al) were created because someone did something to another and the negative feelings and cycle were perpetuated.

In conclusion, Juliette may be someone with a naturally good nature, who was originally nurtured in a good environment. However, her authentic power has shifted and she's now being nurtured (sort of a new birth) by another Hexenbiest, about whose background we know nothing other than she's manipulative and not loyal. Further, Juliette has opened herself to depending on Sean Renard who is still an unknown and, if everyone would just remember, tried to kill Nick and Aunt Marie until he figured he could "use" Nick. Juliette's character is a total unknown at this point.

The nature vs. nurture debate continues to this day. I get the feeling from postings by Samsarilian and you that you both fall into the nurture side of the spectrum as having the most influence on the formation of a person's character. So does Kelly and the others, evidently. Guess I do, too, but in this case, can't escape feeling that of all possible wesen and, as you pointed out, given the source as Adalind's line, - the Hexenbiest in Juliette would fight hardest to win an internal battle for dominance. Should be intriguing to see how it all plays out; one thing we can't complain about in the journey we take with Grimm is that it's predictable. Smile

But it's also fun to discuss events, and although I remain skeptical about N and J's chances for survival as a couple, I'll continue to do the only real thing we fans can do, and that's hoping for the best.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - droid327 - 03-24-2015

Look at the body of evidence, though...how many hexenbiesten/zauberbiesten (forgive my attempt at conjugation) have we seen or heard of on the show? And how many are savage, uncontrolled evil monsters?

-Adalind: ruthless, but too stupid to really be evil. Seems to always be the pawn in someone else's plans.
-Sean: only half zauberbiest, but by all accounts seems to be genuinely committed to justice, if not mercy.
-Sean's mom: Helped out her son at some great personal cost/pain, helped out Nick and Juliette. Didnt murder Sean's dad even after everything he's done for her.
-Adalind's mom: again, ruthless, but seemed to be a more competent version of Adalind...she achieved what she set out to do.
-Henrietta: Mostly just seems to be concerned with running a year-round haunted house. Has helped everyone who came to her without question or demand for recompense.
-Frau Pech: Helps Adalind to sell her baby, and gets killed for her trouble.
-Adalind's co-workers: Apparently they were just lawyers, arguably the most evil thing that hexenbiesten *do* have in common Smile

I really dont see why Juliette couldnt espouse the same qualities we've seen in other hexenbiesten but still be firmly on the "good guy" side, or why it would become an untenable problem in her relationship with Nick. Hell, when she *has* shown those qualities so far, we've praised her for being more of a badass. Nick gets along fine with the Captain, knowing he's a Zauberbiest, I dont know why he couldnt continue to have his relationship with Juliette just as easily. But Sean never woged and tried to force Nick to kiss him, either, I guess...

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - syscrash - 03-24-2015

I would also have to add. As a Grimm N and J would have never had a future. As a Grimm Juliette would have been constantly under attack. At first we have only seen Adadlind as a threat. Now we see the council posing a threat. We say that Shaw was on the verge of becoming a threat.
At least now there is a real chance N and J can actually be together and Juliette will not die. EVen Juliette realized she was signing on to live a life of danger, by her wanting to learn to shoot. What I find telling is Juliette realized that living in the world of wesen a gun has little value. If a gun was the solution Nick would not have needed to be a Grimm to defeat the Wesenrien.

Look at it from Juliette point. The Weston issue if Juliette was home she would be dead. The Adalind Issue if not a hexenbiest she would be in custody of the Royals. The manticore issue she would be dead. These are not isolated incidents but the fact of the life of living with a Grimm.

Instead of regretting being a hexenbiest Juliette should be thanking Adalind. Because what Adalind did has more than once saved Juliette life. Now there is a realistic possibility that Juliette can stay with her Grimm.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Samsarilian - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 08:25 AM)speakeasy Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 07:16 AM)busyizzy Wrote: I do think there is a natural vs nuture (@Samsarilian) thing going on here, but I don't think what @speakeasy said is completely at odds to that:

In conclusion, Juliette may be someone with a naturally good nature, who was originally nurtured in a good environment. However, her authentic power has shifted and she's now being nurtured (sort of a new birth) by another Hexenbiest, about whose background we know nothing other than she's manipulative and not loyal. Further, Juliette has opened herself to depending on Sean Renard who is still an unknown and, if everyone would just remember, tried to kill Nick and Aunt Marie until he figured he could "use" Nick. Juliette's character is a total unknown at this point.

The nature vs. nurture debate continues to this day. I get the feeling from postings by Samsarilian and you that you both fall into the nurture side of the spectrum as having the most influence on the formation of a person's character. So does Kelly and the others, evidently. Guess I do, too, but in this case, can't escape feeling that of all possible wesen and, as you pointed out, given the source as Adalind's line, - the Hexenbiest in Juliette would fight hardest to win an internal battle for dominance. Should be intriguing to see how it all plays out; one thing we can't complain about in the journey we take with Grimm is that it's predictable. Smile

But it's also fun to discuss events, and although I remain skeptical about N and J's chances for survival as a couple, I'll continue to do the only real thing we fans can do, and that's hoping for the best.

Actually I was studying to be an Engineer when I took Psychology one. I had been reading Psych text for years before that but Math and Logic are my filters. Nature and Nurture to me are the two sides of a single equation they are in balance as far as I can tell. You could also say that though I am a Christian by raising, training, and basic belief, I am a Tai-ist (sp? pronounced Dowist but it is chinese) or Wican/Druid by outlook. I believen in balance more than good or evil. They can not exist without each other any more than light and dark, day and night, passion (both love and hate) and appathy.