Grimm Forum
Guardians of the Galaxy - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: Movies (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Movies)
+--- Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy (/Thread-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy)

Guardians of the Galaxy - Starfury - 08-03-2014

I managed to see this flick yesterday, really enjoyed the combination of comedy and action, there were a couple of slow points but overall felt this was a creditable addition to the Marvel mosaic.

Good villain, but would have liked a little more back story. But who doesn't love a 'BIG' gun toting mercenary raccoon who manages both the quippiness and technical know how of Tony Stark with perhaps even more snark Tongue and Star Lord (Peter Quill) was just the right amount of rogue, hero and idiot for the movie. The CGI of both Rockett Raccoon and Groot (Vin Diesel's best performance Rolleyes ) were excellent and as always in a Marvel ensemble movie there was some fine badinage between the the characters.

I can't wait for the Avengers and the Guardians to meet Thanos and the infinity Gauntlet Big Grin

And one final point of note, I loved the sound track, already purchased on itunes Smile

RE: Guardians of the Galaxy - GrimmForum - 08-04-2014

Thanks for bringing up this movie. It looks good, I'm going to have to check it out!

RE: Guardians of the Galaxy - grimmfreak - 08-04-2014

Saw it, Liked it, didn't love it. However, I said going in if it that if it were a to[p 5 marvel movie I'd be happy with it and it was that.

I also think that any superhero movie that introduces a character, even more so one that introduces a team is very difficult to pull off because of the need for back story. In this respect I think GotG was a great triumph in that it worked the back story in seamlessly to the point where it was hardly noticeable. In this way it was the best movie of it's kind (that being a movie that introduces a superhero team of which none of the characters have been seen on film before EI: X-Men, Fantastic Four).

RE: Guardians of the Galaxy - Starfury - 08-05-2014

(08-04-2014, 10:02 PM)grimmfreak Wrote: Saw it, Liked it, didn't love it. However, I said going in if it that if it were a to[p 5 marvel movie I'd be happy with it and it was that.

I also think that any superhero movie that introduces a character, even more so one that introduces a team is very difficult to pull off because of the need for back story. In this respect I think GotG was a great triumph in that it worked the back story in seamlessly to the point where it was hardly noticeable. In this way it was the best movie of it's kind (that being a movie that introduces a superhero team of which none of the characters have been seen on film before EI: X-Men, Fantastic Four).

I agree, not the best but still a very fun romp, and as you say Grimmfreak, as an introduction to an ensemble cast it is more than functional. Of course some of the characters got short shrift, Drax and Groot in particular, though Groot had a couple of good moments. And Rocket Raccoon stole the movie with his very dry wit and general repartee with the other characters (I particularly loved when he kept asking for peoples prosthetic for whatever McGyver device to get them out of a dangerous situation Tongue) , though Peter Quill certainly came a close second. I really do hope the expand upon the Gamora character and do more with the interplay with her sibling nemesis Nebula in some future movie. And of course more of Rocket and Groot kicking ass and taking names is a must Big Grin

RE: Guardians of the Galaxy - pale boy - 08-06-2014

;__; I can't remember the last time I sat in an actual movie theater and all the hype this film is getting really makes me want to see it. More than a few people I know who've see it have compared it to that sort of "Star Wars feeling" you get when you're watching something that you know is just going to be big and fantastic -- and also that it's a fun movie that will probably flush away some of the gritty grimdark that has been infecting too much of genre fiction in the past half decade or thereabouts. (Don't get me wrong; there's room for both dark stuff and lighter fare. I'm just glad to see that the lighter stuff is coming back into vogue ... maybe.)

So, worth seeing?

RE: Guardians of the Galaxy - Starfury - 08-07-2014

(08-06-2014, 05:41 PM)pale boy Wrote: ;__; I can't remember the last time I sat in an actual movie theater and all the hype this film is getting really makes me want to see it. More than a few people I know who've see it have compared it to that sort of "Star Wars feeling" you get when you're watching something that you know is just going to be big and fantastic -- and also that it's a fun movie that will probably flush away some of the gritty grimdark that has been infecting too much of genre fiction in the past half decade or thereabouts. (Don't get me wrong; there's room for both dark stuff and lighter fare. I'm just glad to see that the lighter stuff is coming back into vogue ... maybe.)

So, worth seeing?

Agreed, you need the light and fluffy to cleanse the palate so to speak, so you can dive back into the dark of say a Batman movie.