Grimm Forum
Nick - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Nick (/Thread-Nick)

Pages: 1 2

Nick - syscrash - 07-21-2014

The story started with Nick gaining his Grimm powers because Marie was dying. I have a problem with this. First his Grimm would have been passed down from Kelly not Marie. So it would take Kelly dying and not Marie.

RE: Nick - Starfury - 07-22-2014

I believe you are conflating two things, the one has no direct relation to the other, they simply happened at the same time, probably to add a certain urgency to the plot and leave Nick floundering without anyone to really explain how the Grimm world works. The Grimm powers are clearly genetic in some fashion, the expression of the powers however are unpredictable in terms of when they become obviously apparent. It is clear Nick is starting to see unusual things at the start of the episode and Marie when she turns up is saddened to learn that Nick has the Grimm power but at no time does Marie say that (as far as I can remember) because she is dying Nick is getting her powers.

RE: Nick - wfmyers1207 - 07-22-2014

Well, if you watch the first 2 episodes of season 1, which I happened to have done this weekend, the show did seem to be going in the direction that grimmness was some sort of mystical ability that was passed on when a close family member died or was close to death.

The show then shifted to the idea that it was a genetic trait. Now, with the season 3 finale, the show seems to be shifting back to grimmness being at least a partially mystical ability. How else could Adalind have taken Nick's powers? Did she alter his DNA? Confused

RE: Nick - syscrash - 07-22-2014

I seems to be established that wesen, hexenbeast, grimm, and other species are genetic. It has also been established that wesen genetics are different then non wesen. Each time Adaline has used her power (other then when she through the vase) it involved a potion using blood magic. So I would say she is changing the victims DNA. Plus to get her powers back she had to change her DNA. I do wonder if any wesen can create the potions Adiline creates. Rosalee creates antidotes why couldn't she also create the original potion. Why can't Rosalee create the antidote the get Nicks Grimm back. Would Rosalee have to sleep with Nick to restore his power since that is how he lost his power. That would be interesting. Imagine telling your wife the only way to cure you is to sleep with a friend. (Hmm I might have to try that one)

I tend to think the back story of how or when you become a Grimm has a whole in it's continuity.
It was Monroe who was making the observation that since Nick was new at being a Grimm someone must have died or be dying.

I think the writers where using the dying thing to cover Nicks becoming a Grimm and Maries Dying being so coincidental as to be lame.

But then dropped that line of logic when they realized it would mess with the shows continuity.
Then again Monroe is the only one who proposed the idea. An it could be a wesen urban legend.

Could be why when the subject came up again it was handled as being a genetic birthright.

The subject came up when talking to Trubel. She stated she noticed as she got older.
Rolek knew that Josh would never be a Grimm. Nothing else in the wesen community has it's ability tied to someone dying, why would Grimms.

But then the problem comes in, Nick is in his thirties and his Grimm is just starting to show? I have heard of late bloomers but not until your 30's. The show did state that females get their Grimm earlier then males but that is a big jump in age between when Trubel got her Grimm (in her early teens) and Nick got his (in his thirties).

I tend to think the writers where dealing with how do you explain that a 30 something would not know they are a Grimm. Of course they could have used the explanation that Nick suffers from nightmares. Something like what Wu is dealing with. They could have used the same logic, Nick thinking he was going crazy. They could have pointed out that Nick has been on leave several times because the PPD felt he was overworked and seeing things. This would have been a better way then the death scenario. Especially when he finds out he is a Grimm and tries to explain it to Juliette. She would be alarmed because she was scared his nightmares where coming back. Causing concern that he was working to hard. To watch Nick go from a detective that was convinced that he was crazy and doing all he could to hide what he sees. To knowing the truth and becoming a detective that is confident and on a mission to reevaluate all the past cases that he could not explain.

RE: Nick - Hyndara - 07-22-2014

(07-21-2014, 06:00 PM)syscrash Wrote: The story started with Nick gaining his Grimm powers because Marie was dying. I have a problem with this. First his Grimm would have been passed down from Kelly not Marie. So it would take Kelly dying and not Marie.

You got that wrong. That was what we all were thinking during season 1. Kelly corrected it in 2.01. It isn't necessary that another Grimm dies, the ability, the "Grimm" is inheritaged no matter what. It only can fade away as seen in 3.21. But the Grimm is in the genes, just like the Wesen are coming from the genes (Juliette discovered that during 1.21). So, nothing about inheritaged powers because another one dies.
That theory would also lead to a steady number of Grimms in the world, which isn't the case. Grimms are close to extinction as far as we know. There aren't left many anymore. The only other explanation would be that the current Grimms would all be stronger because they all would get the powers of the dead ones, that's not the case.
So, it's in the genes and every Grimm-family has at least one member who becomes Grimm at one point in his life each generation. What triggers that we don't know. I could imagine that female Grimm awake earlier to produce more possible new Grimm (giving birth to as much children as possible) while male Grimm, being late, are more of sort of male lions, protecting their "district" and possible also the next generation of Grimm. Could explain why females seem to be more aggressive and males are more into their emotions and more located in an exact area instead of the nomading females.

RE: Nick - prince-vegeta - 04-18-2015

My complaint about Nick (or should I say the writers) is that he is more cop than Grimm. He seldom has knowledge of the wesen he is dealing with, so obviously he rely too much on the other characters to do all the research for him.

RE: Nick - jsgrimm45 - 05-23-2015

Reading this and reading a post on women vs men Grimm's l like the put this out for thought. Also why women appear to be shall we say more hardcore.

We know (or been told) the women become Grimm's younger than Men most likely because women mature younger than men. There a body chemistry factor.

Because of this earlier Grimm women deal with seeing wesen sooner thus have become more hardcore and the wesen may think because they are women easier to deal with (which they find out isn't the case but to late) so they may attack women and run from men.

We have only seen 1 male active Grimm Nick and we know from the first show that he could read ppl but when his aunt shows up near death that cause the body chemistry in Nick bring on the final step to being a Grimm.

As luck would have it (or writing in this case) first wesen Nick meets is Monroe and they end up working together so Nick meeting is nothing like Trubel's she has only seen wesen wanting to harm her. Rosalee and Monroe (plus Bud) give Nick a better starting point than Trubel for I.E. Even Nick's aunt doesn't say kill all wesen she says the bad must hunted down and killed that feeing from her made Nick a "kinder" Grimm. She did it because it was needed a gift in away from her.

We know from the hosp. stay that Aunt Marie was in many fights but some how had kept Nick out of it. Nick was happy: job he liked a girlfriend if hadn't been for aunt Marie's death he (may have sooner or later) might have been even longer before becoming a Grimm. If he had stayed with Kelly just the death of his father might have made him a Grimm earlier, Kelly took up the fight because his father was killed.

Josh dad didn't want to be a Grimm, Nick tells him he may become one anyway. The death of his dad and the body chemistry thing. Season 5 may show that but which way will he go?

When Nick loss the Grimm the doctor said he had more cones in his eyes than normal. That is what the chemistry changes it turns on those cones.

Your thoughts?

RE: Nick - Leo Mark Radomir - 06-17-2015

I've missed a couple of weeks due to be being board with the show for a number of reasons, one has nick too many issues now , second as a grim they've made him far to easy to control by creature's such as hex beast being a grimm he should have a lot more resistance to that kinda crap. To me at least he's become an emotion mess while Julia now insanely powerful just after awakening and is all is kinds of crazy and a total cow.

RE: Nick - jsgrimm45 - 07-24-2015

Thought it was time to bring this thread back with a fresh look. With Adalind having Nick's son plus being a hexenbeist the son question might go here now. Will he's son from birth be a Grimm?

Over the seasons they have added to Nick's Grimm hearing and the zombie effect. Will his son be a Grimm and have those improvements? Being his mother is a hexenbeist will his son be unaffected by a hexenbeist power?

If you wanted to do a spinoff in a couple years would you make Diana and Nick Jr. the super hexenbeist and a super Grimm? Sister and brother fighting the royals or would you have them helping mom and dad even as children?

RE: Nick - eric - 07-26-2015

As I remember it, when Monroe and Rosalee were explaining the birds and bees to Nick and Hank, they said a child with mixed heritage would be more like the mom. If so, both of Adeline's offspring would be hexenbiest then royal or grimm. When Renard's mom wanted to see her "work"-if her son had recovered-he voged and looked like a hexenbiest. The children would have mixed genes that would favor the mom's side. Think of mixed breeds of dogs as an example. The difference is, for dogs, neither side is favored.