Grimm Forum
Passing of James Garner - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: Passing of James Garner (/Thread-Passing-of-James-Garner)

Pages: 1 2

Passing of James Garner - wfmyers1207 - 07-20-2014

Sad tidings indeed. Sad One of my favorite actors. I remember watching "Maverick" on TV as a boy. Did so love my westerns. But he had a good run and left a body of work for which he will be justly well remembered. The crown jewel of course being "The Great Escape" a movie that is on my rather short list of truly great films. I hope he, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson are sharing a glass at this very moment. Angel

RE: Passing of James Garner - Starfury - 07-20-2014

What sharing a really dodgy glass of purgatory hooch whilst planning to tunnel their way into heaven Big Grin

We also mustn't forget The Rockford files, loved that show, I've always loved a good PI Smile

RE: Passing of James Garner - GrimmForum - 07-20-2014

RIP James Garner. He lived a long life and career, and will leave a lasting legacy through his films for generations to come.

RE: Passing of James Garner - Hyndara - 07-20-2014

He was one of my first heroes. It's so sad that he's gone now Smile.
Rest In Peace, James Garner! Sad

RE: Passing of James Garner - Elkhound - 07-21-2014

(07-20-2014, 01:08 PM)Hyndara Wrote: He was one of my first heroes. It's so sad that he's gone now Smile.
Rest In Peace, James Garner! Sad

NO RELATION to Jennifer Garner! (Some people think she's his grand-daughter or great-niece. They don't even look alike, aside from both having dark hair.)

RE: Passing of James Garner - speakeasy - 07-22-2014

James Garner was one of my all-time favorite actors. I think I've seen every episode of The Rockford Files more than once.

He made the sweetest movie with Sally Field back in the mid 80's, called "Murphy's Romance" - if any of his fans have not seen it, it's classic Garner and worth the effort of finding it. I rewatch it every time it's on TV, but unfortunately, that isn't very often.

I bid you a fond farewell, James Garner, thanks for the memories.

RE: Passing of James Garner - wfmyers1207 - 07-22-2014

A couple of items I didn't know when I made the original post. Mr. Garner served bravely and well during the Korean War and was twice wounded in action. He was awarded 2 Purple Hearts. When he was wounded the 2nd time it was in the ass by friendly fire! Something I doubt he appreciated at the time, but in later life may have appealed to his sense of humor! Big Grin

He was also the self-described "scrounger" of his outfit. A role he would play in "The Great Escape".

RE: Passing of James Garner - Starfury - 07-23-2014

(07-22-2014, 04:51 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: He was also the self-described "scrounger" of his outfit. A role he would play in "The Great Escape".

Which is still my favorite performance of his in a movie, and the Great Escape is still in my top 10 movie list Smile, and didn't he and Donald Pleasance make the most unlikely comedic duo Big Grin, both of their performances held such pathos and showed the unlikely friendships that you end up making during adverse situations.

RE: Passing of James Garner - Elkhound - 07-23-2014

Jim Rockford as a Grimm?

RE: Passing of James Garner - wfmyers1207 - 07-24-2014

(07-23-2014, 06:57 AM)Starfury Wrote:
(07-22-2014, 04:51 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: He was also the self-described "scrounger" of his outfit. A role he would play in "The Great Escape".

Which is still my favorite performance of his in a movie, and the Great Escape is still in my top 10 movie list Smile, and didn't he and Donald Pleasance make the most unlikely comedic duo Big Grin, both of their performances held such pathos and showed the unlikely friendships that you end up making during adverse situations.

Truly, they did make an odd pair. But a very good one. Met some folks like that myself in the day. You would never believe what me and a fellow named Joe Longshore got up to back when. The only thing I'm going to say is "twin sisters". Tongue