Grimm Forum
S2E07 - The Bottle Imp - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Rewatches (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Rewatches)
+----- Forum: Season 2 Rewatch (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-2-Rewatch)
+----- Thread: S2E07 - The Bottle Imp (/Thread-S2E07-The-Bottle-Imp)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

S2E07 - The Bottle Imp - Gretel Hanselsister - 07-11-2014

Season 2 Episode 7
The Bottle Imp

[Image: 207kleinsnu68.jpg]

Air date: October 12, 2012

Synopsis: After investigating a grisly murder, clues lead Nick (David Giuntoli) and Hank (Russell Hornsby) to a seemingly unstable father (Josh Steward) who is on the run with his daughter April (Jade Pettyjohn). As they learn more about the case they realize that the girl’s father may be the least of their worries. At the spice shop, Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) finds out filling in for Rosalee (Bree Turner) isn’t as simple as he’d hoped it would be. Meanwhile, Captain Sean Renard (Sasha Roiz) finds himself paying unwarranted attention to more than one woman from his past.

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - Elkhound - 07-11-2014

I used to teach Middle School. I've known girls like that.

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - speakeasy - 07-11-2014

Not a yawner, but not a favorite either. I couldn't put together the Thomas Paine/summer soldier/Rights of Man references with the story. Or the Bottle Imp title. And if the mother is a Drang Zorn, why couldn't she control her little girl, since the Juvi guard (also a Drang Zorn?) seemed to feel she could. I'm usually able to overlook such inconsistencies, but maybe because I wasn't very caught up in this particular episode they stood out more.

Renard was looking especially handsome, so that was a plus. Even without being under a spell, any girl would probably find it hard to not notice him. Smile

Hank and Nick make a great team, always a treat to see them doing some good solid police work together. The lighter moments with Monroe's little snafu with the potion was probably the highlight of the episode for me; it was funny when he poured the right mixture into the weird contraption on that poor guy's head. Tongue

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - wfmyers1207 - 07-11-2014

OK, actually liked this episode. Not loved, but liked. The fact that Hank was being introduced into the deeper wesen world was good. The whole bit with Monroe messing up the formula for that poor guy with the inner ear disorder was pretty funny. Oh, and taking a chain saw to a grandfather clock! I thought Monroe was going to have a seizure!Big Grin

As for the Thomas Paine reference. I figure the father was a survivalist/libertarian type who taught those values to his daughter. (Look at what he built out in the forest, along with weapons, etc.) Not that I have a problem with that. I lean in those directions myself. Think of me what you will.

Never saw the child being the killer coming. Some people, sharper than me, probably saw it early. I didn't get it until the reveal.

Also enjoyed this for being a more proceduarial episode. We got to see other cops doing their job.

I believe the mother was a normal human. That's why she couldn't deal with the little girl. It's been said in the show that children of "mixed marriages" could be one or the other. Either wesen or human, or one type of wesen or the other.

Hmm, perhaps this is one of the reasons some wesen are against mixed marriages?Dodgy Let's say that the children of such marriages can sometimes be dangerous and unpredictable? Due to, forgive the term, being "mixed breeds"?

Oh, I believe the female juvie guard was Lowen, not a Drang Zorn. Which brings up an interesting point. She knew what Nick was. Makes you kind of interested in who else in the law enforcement community maybe hip to Nick.Dodgy

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - syscrash - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:16 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: OK, actually liked this episode. Not loved, but liked. The fact that Hank was being introduced into the deeper wesen world was good. The whole bit with Monroe messing up the formula for that poor guy with the inner ear disorder was pretty funny. Oh, and taking a chain saw to a grandfather clock! I thought Monroe was going to have a seizure!Big Grin

As for the Thomas Paine reference. I figure the father was a survivalist/libertarian type who taught those values to his daughter. (Look at what he built out in the forest, along with weapons, etc.) Not that I have a problem with that. I lean in those directions myself. Think of me what you will.

Never saw the child being the killer coming. Some people, sharper than me, probably saw it early. I didn't get it until the reveal.

Also enjoyed this for being a more proceduarial episode. We got to see other cops doing their job.

I believe the mother was a normal human. That's why she couldn't deal with the little girl. It's been said in the show that children of "mixed marriages" could be one or the other. Either wesen or human, or one type of wesen or the other.

Hmm, perhaps this is one of the reasons some wesen are against mixed marriages?Dodgy Let's say that the children of such marriages can sometimes be dangerous and unpredictable? Due to, forgive the term, being "mixed breeds"?

Oh, I believe the female juvie guard was Lowen, not a Drang Zorn. Which brings up an interesting point. She knew what Nick was. Makes you kind of interested in who else in the law enforcement community maybe hip to Nick.Dodgy

Good point about knowing who Nick is. It surprises me that the writers are still writing the surprised wesen reveal. You would think by now there would not be anyone in the wesen community that did not know about the grimm cop that likes wesen. This is something that would have spread within a month or two

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - Starfury - 07-11-2014

This particular episode left me cold, I didn't buy the father character. The actor who played the father has done good works in other shows such as criminal minds and the last Batman movie so I don't think it is him. So I can only put it down to the writing.

I think the guard was 'hip' to Nick because Munroe vouched for him, therefore, the impact of him being a Grimm would have been mitigated somewhat.

And it may be one thing to know there is a Grimm in your town it's another thing to have it turn up in your face without warning. Let's be honest we all know in a general sense that there are potentially criminals of every stripe living within a few streets of each of us. We probably are even acquainted with them unbeknownst to us. But if you were to walk into your home and be confronted by an axe wielding maniac who happens to be that quite guy you know from down the street, I'm pretty sure you'd still be shocked and surprised!!!

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - speakeasy - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:16 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: As for the Thomas Paine reference. I figure the father was a survivalist/libertarian type who taught those values to his daughter. (Look at what he built out in the forest, along with weapons, etc.) Not that I have a problem with that. I lean in those directions myself. Think of me what you will.

HBO is rerunning "John Adams" until tomorrow and I've been watching. Of course, Thomas Paine's pamphlets were part of the Revolution. His writings encouraged pulling away from England's rule on the basis of every man's god-given right to equality, which could mean some form of self-determination - your explanation for its use in this episode fits as an interpretation he would place on things. Works for me.

(07-11-2014, 01:16 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: I believe the mother was a normal human. That's why she couldn't deal with the little girl. It's been said in the show that children of "mixed marriages" could be one or the other. Either wesen or human, or one type of wesen or the other.

There was a scene in the bathroom where she woged. She looked like a Drang Zorn.

(07-11-2014, 01:16 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: Oh, I believe the female juvie guard was Lowen, not a Drang Zorn. Which brings up an interesting point. She knew what Nick was. Makes you kind of interested in who else in the law enforcement community maybe hip to Nick.Dodgy

Absolutely right, and now I can see why she wasn't intimidated by the child. Lowen's (or is it Lowen) have to be among the fiercest of wesen!

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - wfmyers1207 - 07-11-2014

You're right about the mother being Drang Zorn speakeasy. I completely missed that scene. Should have rewatched it more carefully instead of fast forwarding past some scenes.Blush

But, knowing that, why couldn't she handle the little girl? I know some mothers have a tendency to be a bit lenient, but adult wesen vs child wesen doesn't seem much of a contest. Not talking about deadly force hereTongue, wouldn't be needed, just Mom extending a firm hand and saying "enough". Wouldn't seem to be a problem for a grown up. Yet the girl absolutely trashed her mom. Can going through an early change for a wesen child make that much difference?

Like Starfury, I was left a little flat by the Dad in this episode. The character wasn't very well written.

Still rather interested in who else is hip to Nick. I realize that the Lowen juvie guard knew about him because Monroe vouched. But by this time in the series even the eisbiebers, among others, knew who Nick was. Makes you wonder how many cops are wesen and know exactly who Nick is.Smile

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - Starfury - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 06:34 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: Still rather interested in who else is hip to Nick. I realize that the Lowen juvie guard knew about him because Monroe vouched. But by this time in the series even the eisbiebers, among others, knew who Nick was. Makes you wonder how many cops are wesen and know exactly who Nick is.Smile

Excellent question, I wonder also, if particular wesen types are attracted by or to certain professions. Blutbaden by nature of their hunting instincts as Marshals or Bounty Hunters for example. Eisbiebers seem to be attracted to the building/maintenance professions so it would appear within the parameters of the show that your inherent animalistic nature has an influence on what you are likely to do. I'd love to read the ideas other forum members have of which wesen go with which jobs Smile

RE: S2E07 The Bottle Imp - grimmfreak - 07-11-2014

I voted meh...
I was not at all surprised when I found out that the kid was the bad guy. They made this way too obvious for me.
On top of that, like Starfury, I didn't buy the dad. He was way too cool under pressure for me, I mean you see you're kid horribly murder someone and you're cool enough to wash up and go without freaking out big time. He acted like this was something he'd done before and if so WTF, why have you waited until now to do something about it?