Grimm Forum
The Power of a Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: The Power of a Grimm (/Thread-The-Power-of-a-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2

RE: The Power of a Grimm - Lou - 05-23-2013

Charles, welcome to the forum.

Right from the get go he seemed pretty powerful. but if nothing else he is increasing in confidence. I got a big kick out of when he took on the three Verat, and Monroe asked him, "are you going to arrest them or what?" and Nick replies, "or what".

RE: The Power of a Grimm - Charles Mosteller - 05-23-2013

Thanks, Lou. I had watched the final episode of season two on HuluPlus, tonight, and decided to try and find a forum of some kind, in order to have someone to discuss the show's happenings and storyline with. A Google search led me to here.

Back to the subject at hand, it may also be that Nick coming to grips with the concepts of both Wesen and Grimms as actual, real things could have been a crucial ingredient to tapping into the deeper levels of the Grimm skills. Also, it may be that each Grimm is different, in the powers department, or in the acquisition, or mastery, of said powers.

RE: The Power of a Grimm - pale boy - 05-24-2013

(05-23-2013, 07:17 PM)Charles Mosteller Wrote: Back to the subject at hand, it may also be that Nick coming to grips with the concepts of both Wesen and Grimms as actual, real things could have been a crucial ingredient to tapping into the deeper levels of the Grimm skills. Also, it may be that each Grimm is different, in the powers department, or in the acquisition, or mastery, of said powers.

I like the way you think. Those are really good explanations/theories. It would be neat if each Grimm had unique powers. Believe = fighting potential would also be very interesting.

RE: The Power of a Grimm - Charles Mosteller - 05-24-2013

Another possibility could be that Grimms become more powerful, with each succeeding generation. Thus, it would behoove Wesen to seek their elimination expeditiously, lest the Grimm bloodline extend too far, thereby becoming impossible to defeat.

RE: The Power of a Grimm - HellJacket - 05-24-2013

(05-23-2013, 07:17 PM)Charles Mosteller Wrote: Back to the subject at hand, it may also be that Nick coming to grips with the concepts of both Wesen and Grimms as actual, real things could have been a crucial ingredient to tapping into the deeper levels of the Grimm skills.
That explanation is very abstracty, and usually those types of explanations don't work out. Let's go through the short list of scenarios when we know Nick actually received grimm powers.

1. In the pilot episode, Nick started seeing people woge.
2. In Mr. Sandman, Nick acquired superhuman hearing after he was blinded by the Jinnamuru Xunte.

Based on our small dataset, it appears that grimm obtain powers when they undergo some biological "ritual." Therefore, I speculate that when zombie Nick wakes up and eventually becomes cured, we may have a new super grimm on our hands. That situation would parallel what happened in Mr. Sandman.

*In this post, I'm totally shrugging aside all the super strength and martial arts moves that people point to as grimm powers. I consider that simply the product of a disciplined work ethic.

(05-24-2013, 09:36 AM)HellJacket Wrote: 2. In Mr. Sandman, Nick acquired superhuman hearing after he was blinded by the Jinnamuru Xunte.

He did not retain that superhuman hearing, though. It seemed to be a temporary side-effect, not a net permanent gain in hearing ability.

RE: The Power of a Grimm - HellJacket - 05-24-2013

(05-24-2013, 05:27 PM)Charles Mosteller Wrote: He did not retain that superhuman hearing, though. It seemed to be a temporary side-effect, not a net permanent gain in hearing ability.
I thought the writers made it pretty clear that it is was a permanent gain based on the last scene of Mr. Sandman. The logic you're probably using is "well, there have been plenty of episodes since then when Nick could have really used superhuman hearing, but when he showed no such ability." If we were analyzing real world facts, I might agree with you. However, we're examining a television show, and every television show resorts to "convenient writing" when they need to advance the plot in an episode. The writers "conveniently" forget that Nick has superhuman hearing when it doesn't work for them. However, when it proves useful again, the writers will suddenly remember that he does have superhuman hearing.

Hell, the writers have forgotten every piece of nonsense they stated in the pilot episode. That's far more dramatic than Nick having superhuman hearing, but his hearing sense not always proving effective as a danger indicator.

Still, based on the actual facts from Mr. Sandman and ignoring any negative evidence (i.e., why hasn't he shown said ability in any later episodes), the writers clearly wanted the viewer to think it was a permanent new ability from that last scene with Nick practicing batting blindfolded.

I went back, and reviewed the Mr. Sandman episode on Netflix. I stand corrected on the hearing. It's in the last minute to minute and a half of that episode, where's he's bashing the fruit and vegetables with the modified baseball bat.

The powers of a Grimm are listed over on the Grimm Wiki - at least, as what they perceive the powers to be:

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Burkhardt

Superhuman Perception: Nick's powers as a Grimm give him the ability to see creatures in their true form when they get excited, annoyed or careless.

Superhuman Strength: Nick's strength is significantly enhanced, making him much stronger than any man; this allows him to match the fighting prowess of many Wesen, the only exception so far being a Siegbarste. His strength has made him noticeably stronger than several more powerful Wesen, such as Jägerbar. Nick's skills are highly impressive, since he's been able to fend off Blutbaden, and hold on much longer than the average man when fighting a Siegbarste. He could defeat a Skalenzahne, something Monroe was unable to do. During a fight with a Mauvais Dentes, he held his own long enough for his mother to arrive and help him finish him off, while Mauvais Dentes usually have no trouble overpowering and killing their targets. ("Bears Will Be Bears") ("Game Ogre") ("Last Grimm Standing") ("Leave It to Beavers") ("The Kiss")

Superhuman Reflexes: Nick's reflexes are enhanced to great levels, allowing him to take on Wesen as fast as Schakale, Steinadler or Jinnamuru Xunte, although he is still at a disadvantage when facing Königschlange. ("Three Coins in a Fuchsbau") ("Woman in Black") ("Mr. Sandman") ("Over My Dead Body")

Superhuman Durability: Nick's durability is notable; several times he has taken blows from incredibly strong Wesen, and recovered in seconds. For instance, in a fight with a Schakal, the creature smashed a toaster against his head, yet he recovered in seconds. He even took a beating from a Siegbarste, and escaped with only a few bruised ribs. ("Game Ogre") ("Woman in Black")

Superhuman Agility: Nick's agility is enhanced allowing him to move with great speed and flexibility, in a fight with Reapers he acrobatically flipped over to dodge two scythes. ("Leave It to Beavers")

Superhuman Stamina: Nick's stamina is incredible; several times he's emerged out of heavy fights, and still seemed only mildly dazed. ("Leave It to Beavers") ("Woman in Black") ("The Kiss")

Superhuman Speed: Nick is shown to be incredibly fast on several occasions when chasing others. He nearly always catches them, and (if in a group) he's often way ahead of the others in the chase (including some Wesen). ("Pilot") ("Danse Macabre") ("La Llorona")

Superhuman Hearing: After the loss of his eyesight by the parasitic infection from the Jinnamuru Xunte, Nick gained the ability to hear sounds beyond normal limits. Nick is revealed to have retained or fully realized the ability when he closes his eyes/blindfolds himself after he gets his eyesight back. ("Mr. Sandman") He later seemed to be able to access a lesser version, even with his eyes open as he was able to hear to movements of the nearby Taureus-Armenta. ("Volcanalis")

Superhuman Endurance: Nick's endurance is shown to be very high; he has incredible pain resilience, as demonstrate in fights with very powerful Wesen such as Mauvais Dentes. He can also hold his breath for a reasonably long time as he did when he was fighting La Llorona under the river. ("The Kiss") ("La Llorona")

Indomitable Will: As a Grimm, Nick possesses incredible will power, making him (like other Grimms) immune to powers of the Coins of Zakynthos, which are so strong, no man or Wesen can resist them. ("Three Coins in a Fuchsbau")

Artistic Talent: He is also shown on a few occasions to be quite a good artist; this ability also helps him in hunting the Wesen, when trying to identify them. Nick is revealed to have inherited his abilities from his mother, who in turn inherited them from her Ancestors. ("Bears Will Be Bears") ("The Kiss") ("The Good Shepherd")

Combat Skills: Although he also possesses police training, as a Grimm, Nick possesses a natural aptitude for fighting, particularly with Wesen. This also means he's naturally skilled with medieval weapons, he mastered both a Flail and a Lance after only holding them for a few seconds, and was able to master his Grimm weapons after merely a few tries. Nick is also a capable marksman, and rarely misses his target. ("Last Grimm Standing") ("Plumed Serpent") ("Leave It to Beavers")

Blood of a Grimm: As a Grimm, Nick can use his blood as an offensive weapon, as the blood of a Grimm, kills the Wesen part of Hexenbiests (and possibly other Wesen) thus turning them human, and robbing them of all their powers. ("Love Sick")

RE: The Power of a Grimm - HellJacket - 05-25-2013

(05-24-2013, 06:51 PM)Charles Mosteller Wrote: The powers of a Grimm are listed over on the Grimm Wiki - at least, as what they perceive the powers to be:

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Burkhardt

I really hate the Grimm Wiki. Most of the stuff is baseless speculation or the editors interject a lot of opinionated garble. For example, Artistic Talent? LOL, really?

In terms of fighting ability, I've seen Nick do nothing that Martin Riggs of Lethal Weapon hasn't done.